WMUK-FM seeks a Technical Operations Assistant to provide technical, operational and programming support to all WMUK-FM stations. This includes use of broadcast automation systems, digital content and audio production work.
WMUK-FM is public radio from Western Michigan University and a founding NPR member station. As the Kalamazoo-based NPR affiliate for the West Michigan region. Situated halfway between Detroit and Chicago, our primary signal coverage area stretches across a large portion of southwest Michigan.
We’re seeking candidates with a broadcast operations background, some experience in IT/computing, broadcast automation software, and on-air production.
Our mission is to share knowledge, explore ideas and tell compelling stories that engage listeners and communities across Western Michigan and beyond. Our vision is to become the regional NPR station of choice for a growing community of public radio listeners and supporters.
- Creates, maintains and edits daily automation playlists using automation software.
- Generates daily operations logs using traffic scheduling software.
- Produces other programming and recordings, as directed by Director of Content Operations & Audience Development (DCO).
- Serves as primary coordinator for computing and networking support. This includes the NPR Grove Content Management System and other digital platforms. Collaborates with Chief Engineer to resolve software, computer and/or other hardware problems and malfunctions. Develops workarounds as needed.
- Assists with on air fundraising, studio cleaning and maintenance.
- Maintains station group music library, including physical or digital media.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- One year relevant experience, particularly in audio programming and providing IT/Network support.
- Basic knowledge of radio automation systems and traffic scheduling.
- Some on-air broadcast experience.
- Experience in professional audio recording and production using current Adobe Audition editing software and/or other multitrack editors.
- Proven ability to work well as a contributing team member within a complex organization requiring collaboration, teamwork and communication.
- Two years' relevant experience in public radio operations and/or general radio programming.
- Possess knowledge and skill needed to perform basic electronic repairs.
- Experience in on-air public radio fundraising.
You must sign in to apply for this position.