WBHM’s Reflect Alabama Fellowship offers a unique opportunity for a paid hands-on learning experience in a vibrant, diverse, community-oriented media organization. Our goal is to provide Reflect Alabama Fellows with a meaningful and educational opportunity that not only builds skills throughout the experience, but also brings the experience and knowledge of our community into our organization. WBHM aims to truly reflect Alabama, including its diversity, talents and experiences, through this fellowship program.
Fellows assist staff with initiatives throughout the station and may work on their own independent projects under the guidance of a WBHM staff member. Paid fellowships are currently available in WBHM’s news department. If funding is available, fellowships may be expanded to the marketing, programming and engineering departments. It is possible that there may be more than one Fellow serving at any given time as funding, space and time allows.
Fellowships are open to all individuals, including current students, adult learners and community members. If the fellowship is needed for academic credit, a faculty advisor from the respective educational institution will be involved and WBHM staff will report to the advisor on a regular basis. Students must self-identify ahead of time to set this process up.
Chosen by the WBHM managing editor in consultation with the station’s leadership team, fellows will be compensated at a rate of $15.00/hour during the duration of their experience, which shall not exceed 12 weeks. Fellows shall be considered to be employees of the University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB) during their fellowship.
Upon acceptance as a Fellow, the individual and the WBHM staff member will agree on a start and end date for the fellowship. In order to provide compensation for the fellowship, these dates much be strictly adhered to.
Completion of the fellowship does not guarantee a job at WBHM.
- Fellows must commit to at least 10 hours but no more than 20 hours a week on a set schedule agreed upon between the participant and department manager.
- Fellowships will be approximately 12 weeks and roughly follow spring, summer or fall academic terms. Specific start and end dates will be negotiated between the participant and the department manager, after which WBHM’s Business Manager will assist with additional paperwork for the Fellow to complete.
- Fellows must commit to the full length of the term.
- WBHM has a business casual dress code. Fellows are to look neat and professional at all times.
- Fellows are to conduct themselves in a professional manner at all times.
- All Fellows can expect ongoing feedback and coaching.
- Fellows will be issued a temporary visitor badge (through UAB) during the duration of their fellowship.
- WBHM will assist with the Fellows parking on UAB’s campus.
- Employment as a Fellow is at-will, meaning that either the Fellow or UAB may terminate the employment relationship at any time, with or without cause, and with or without notice and without proceeding with any progressive disciplinary process. Prior Fellows may not reapply after completing a term.
Contact:Andrew Yeager, Managing Editor WBHM News firstname.lastname@example.org
You must sign in to apply for this position.