University of Tennessee
The University of Tennessee Institute of Agriculture (UTIA) seeks applications for the position of Marketing and Communications Specialist in the office of Marketing and Communications. This position is based in West Tennessee (Jackson) and provides support primarily to UT AgResearch and UT Extension programs located in Middle and West Tennessee. Working closely with the team located in Knoxville, the primary function of the position is to raise public awareness of UTIA by highlighting impacts of agricultural research, Extension programming, and Herbert College of Agriculture and College of Veterinary Medicine activities.
The primary functions of this position include:
• Leads the promotion of UTIA in West and Middle Tennessee through marketing and communication strategic initiatives. Working with the team in Knoxville, looks for opportunities to integrate these activities into the overall promotion of the Institute.
• Designs, produces, and edits materials for print, radio and television for distribution to local, regional, national, and international media outlets. Writes news releases and articles for internal and external publications.
• Develops and nurtures relationships with media members and pitches ideas. Makes appearances on television and radio outlets to promote UTIA events and newsworthy activities. Coordinates media appearances with UTIA subject-matter experts.
• Consults with faculty and staff to produce articles, videos, podcasts, blogs or social media posts, photographs, infographics, and other media that highlight ongoing research, teaching, and Extension activities.
• Works with faculty to develop professional trainings, as well as provide professional trainings in the area of marketing and communications for internal clients and agricultural professionals.
• Provides web content and social media support to promote news and activities for the West and Middle Tennessee AgResearch Centers, Extension, and UT Gardens in Jackson.
• Consults with the Vice Chancellor, and other UTIA leaders, to plan internal and public events that support the mission of UTIA. Assists in the promotion of field days, plant sales, Extension programs, and other public gatherings as needed.
The Marketing and Communications Specialist reports to the UTIA Vice Chancellor of Marketing and Communications.
Required Qualifications/Experience: Bachelor’s degree; Masters preferred. Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal skills; ability to produce professional-level video and audio presentations; excellent organizational and multi-tasking skills to prioritize work: ability to meet deadlines; knowledge of Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint); knowledge of Final Cut Pro; ability to complete tasks accurately and on time; ability to work independently with little on-site supervision and as a remote team member.
Desired Qualifications: Professional experience in journalism or media relations; knowledge of all aspects of public relations and marketing; knowledge of the internet platform WordPress; familiarity with Associated Press and/or other style guides; general knowledge of agriculture.
In order to be considered for candidacy, submit a cover letter and resume in addition to your online applicant profile.