Website Radio Kenai
News Opening in a Community that Really Listens in Alaska
We are very fortunate to have six radio stations (4 FM / 2 AM) here in Alaska, comprised of mostly local content. Other than a few talk shows and sporting events, all programming is created by us. We are locally owned and operated, with most here holding their position for a decade or more. And we have a News opening.
You will be responsible for writing and producing Local News for the Heritage Station in the Market, with 55 years of history as the first radio station on the Kenai Peninsula, and the rest of the cluster. Local and State Newsmakers will pick up the phone when you call, you will be a voice in the community that can make a difference.
If you love nature and the outdoors, this is a wonderful place to live. The Peninsula is different (warmer/milder) than the rest of the state, but it is still Alaska, fairly isolated. You will need to relocate here and take the proverbial bull by the horns. We have a certain amount of News that needs to be produced daily but beyond that, the sky is the limit of what you can do here. This position is perfect for someone who is ready to run their own news department and who wants to live and work in a close-knit Community.
Responsibilities:General Job Duties
- Prepare and deliver scheduled newscasts
- Prepare news stories on a variety of issues relevant to the Kenai Peninsula. Primary topics include oil & gas, local government, education, healthcare, and business
- Conduct interviews and produce news stories for daily newscasts
- Prepare news content, including images, audio files, and text, for use on KSRM and partner websites and for social media
- Lead and direct news team
- Produce public announcements as needed
- Attend staff meetings and events
- Conduct live emergency broadcasts as needed, i.e., severe weather, wildfires, road closures, aviation accidents, etc.
- Other duties as assigned
- At least two years radio and/or other relevant experience
- Excellent announcing and production skills; attention to detail
- Excellent computer skills, preferred experience with Microsoft Word, Adobe Audition, and WordPress
- Familiarity with radio automation operations, particularly Profit NexGen Digital Broadcast
- Excellent interpersonal communication and team skills
- Leadership skills and ability to respond quickly to pressured situations.
- Ability to maintain flexible work schedule including early mornings and/or evenings; may include holidays and weekends
- Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism/Communications/similar preferred, but not required.
Contact:Scott Hamilton, Operations/Programming
You must sign in to apply for this position.