New Hampshire Public Radio (NHPR) is seeking a collaborative and detail-oriented Senior Broadcast Engineer to design, install, operate, and maintain its broadcast production systems. This position reports to the Director of Technology.
New Hampshire Public Radio is an independent and trusted source for news and information, and the state’s largest radio news service. Each day NHPR delivers local content reported by NHPR’s reporters and producers, as well as national and world news from National Public Radio (NPR), broadcasting throughout the state from 16 radio stations at 14 transmission sites. NHPR’s newsroom, digital team, podcasts and original programs consistently earn national recognition for their in-depth reporting and production. NHPR is the winner of the 2015, 2017 and 2018 National Edward R. Murrow Award for overall excellence.
Collaboration is key to how we work at NHPR, and we’re looking for someone who will enjoy helping to produce and support journalism. We are committed to our staff’s development, both in technical and leadership skills. If you meet most but not all of the required qualifications, we encourage you to apply.
NHPR has policies regarding fair compensation and a generous benefits package that includes health and dental insurance; company-paid short and long term disability; flexible spending accounts; a 403(b) savings plan and a free on-site fitness center. Employees are entitled three weeks of paid vacation time, twelve paid holidays, as well as paid sick and parental leave.
• Serve as the primary technologist for NHPR’s Technical Operations Center, five control rooms, and four studios
• Design, install, and maintain broadcast equipment, including studio, satellite, and transmission systems, primarily located at the main studio facility, but also at remote locations throughout New Hampshire
• Set and document the technical standards for studio systems
• Support production of remote broadcasts, including site selection, equipment specification, setup and troubleshooting
• Participate in rotation for 24-hour emergency response to and remediation of broadcast outages
• Stay up to date on current technology and seek opportunities to learn new skills
• Comply with FCC (Federal Communications Commission) regulations and state, federal, and local laws
• Other duties as assigned.
• Minimum of four years at a radio broadcast/studio production facility or equivalent
• Experience building and maintaining audio production systems
• Strong understanding of analog and digital audio
• Experience administering broadcast automation systems
• Experience troubleshooting audio transport systems, including Audio over IP/Ethernet, AES digital audio, analog audio, Studio to Transmitter Links, IP Audio Codecs, etc.
• Experience administering audio routing systems
• Basic IP network technology skills
• Strong communication skills with the ability to explain current technology to non-technical staff
• Accuracy and strong attention to detail
• Good initiative and a demonstrated commitment to teamwork
• Willing to live within 30 minute driving distance from the studio
• Ability to bend, crouch, stoop, climb and lift up to 30 pounds frequently and up to 50 pounds occasionally
• A valid driver’s license and satisfactory motor vehicle record.
Other qualifications that would be useful:
• Hands on experience with Sierra Automation Systems digital consoles and routers; Wheatstone Wheatnet IP systems; and/or AudioVault automation systems
• BS or AS in a related field and five years broadcast/studio engineering experience preferred
• Experience with Digital Audio Workstations, building and maintaining radio transmission systems, and/or HD Radio technology
• Basic video production knowledge
• Knowledge of FCC rules and regulations for licensed broadcast facilities
• SBE certification preferred
• CCNA or Network+ certification preferred preferred
New Hampshire Public Radio believes that diversity is important to our success. We are committed to equal employment opportunity and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, religion, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by law.
Please apply on the job opportunities page of our website, NHPR.org, or through this link: https://nhpr.applicantpro.com/jobs/1662882.html