KNXV, the E.W. Scripps Company ABC affiliate in Phoenix, Arizona is looking for a Reporter/Multimedia Journalist. This is not an entry-level position. Instead, the station is looking for a journalist who can differentiate us from our competition through source-building, skill, and storytelling.
SCRIPPS’ COMMITMENT TO EQUITY, DIVERSITY, AND INCLUSION:
At Scripps, we are committed to a diverse and inclusive culture that reflects the communities we serve. We are intentional about creating an environment where employees, our audiences and other stakeholders feel valued and inspired to reach their full potential and make authentic connections. We foster a workplace culture that embraces each person’s diversity, including the extent to which they are similar or different. Scripps leaders believe that an equitable and inclusive culture is not only the right thing to do, it is a business imperative. Read more about our commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion at scripps.com.
The E.W. Scripps Company (NASDAQ: SSP) is a diversified media company focused on creating a better-informed world. As one of the nation’s largest local TV broadcasters, Scripps serves communities with quality, objective local journalism and operates a portfolio of 61 stations in 41 markets. The Scripps Networks reach nearly every American through the national news outlets Court TV and Scripps News and popular entertainment brands ION, Bounce, Defy TV, Grit, ION Mystery and Laff. Scripps is the nation’s largest holder of broadcast spectrum. Scripps runs an award-winning investigative reporting newsroom in Washington, D.C., and is the longtime steward of the Scripps National Spelling Bee. Founded in 1878, Scripps has held for decades to the motto, “Give light and the people will find their own way.”
As an equal employment opportunity employer, The E.W. Scripps Company and its affiliates do not discriminate in its employment decisions on the basis of race, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender, color, religion, age, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, citizenship or national origin, and military membership or veteran status, or on any other basis which would be in violation of any applicable federal, state or local law. Furthermore, the company will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship for the company.
- Receive assignments or evaluate news leads and news tips to develop story ideas.
- Gather and verify factual information regarding stories through interview, observation, and research.
- Organize material, determine slant or emphasis, and writes story according to prescribed editorial style and format standards.
- Shoot video and still photos to illustrate stories.
- Edit, or assist in editing, videos for all multimedia platforms.
- Appear on TV in packaged reports.
- Go live from site of event or mobile broadcast unit.
- Work cooperatively with photographer assigned to story if one is assigned.
- Assist news producer in preparing newscast.
- Assist online staff in preparing for multimedia stories.
- Report, write, capture quality visual content, edit and produce stories for multiple platforms on deadline, such as Internet and digital channels.
- Bachelor's degree in broadcast journalism or related degree or equivalent years of experience.
- Minimum of two years of experience.
- Computer literacy required, including newsroom computer systems.
- Videography and non-linear editing experience preferred.
- Knowledge of broadcast quality camera equipment.
- Edit video on Final Cut Pro editing systems, or similar equipment.
- Strong broadcast and AP-style writing skills.
- Proficient at posting content to various websites.
- Self-motivated and able to work in a fast-paced deadline-driven environment.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds.
- Valid driver's license and good driving record required. In addition, proof of insurance and liability coverage may be required.
You must sign in to apply for this position.