As news room manager, you are key to creating a positive culture to attract and retain the best talent, to create and deliver award-winning news for our viewers. It is a leadership position, with an emphasis on working closely with other managers to train and lead young producers and reporters, mentor and develop their skills, and help coach them through their career growth. On the ground level, you are responsible for the day-to-day management of the newsroom. Strategically, you are a key member of the News Leadership team, charting the path for growth and change. This is a long-term career opportunity for the right person, with a competitive compensation package including Gray’s generous 401(k) match, increased PTO, free health insurance option, and a possible signing bonus.
Responsibilities:Duties/Responsibilities include (but not limited to):
- Day-to-day management of the newsroom, helping to coordinate coverage on all platforms with a digital-first approach.
- Assist with assignments, and guiding reporters on daily story pitches.
- Assist with planning of special events, promotions, special reports, and other assigned projects.
- Post and regularly update stories on social media and web.
- Develop and maintain sources of information and knowledge about assignments, especially local and national news and weather.
- Be willing to learn, or possess a broad and working knowledge of the viewing area, including people, places, things, and history.
- This is a day side position, but must have flexibility to work any shift, including nights, weekends, and holidays.
- Belief in the power of local journalism. Excellent editorial judgement to support our pillars of Breaking News, First Warn Weather and Original Local Reporting.
- A winning mentality, with the ability to identify and “own” the day’s big stories.
- Able to lead and train news producers to create award-winning newscasts.
- Able to make quick decisions and handle breaking news calmly and as a team leader.
- Able to multi-task and oversee news on numerous platforms, including on air, digital, social, and CTV/OTT.
- Maintain a positive newsroom culture.
- Must have a teacher/coach mentality. Staff development and training are a priority for this job; must be willing to coach and inspire on-air talent and producers.
- Bachelor's degree, or higher, is preferred.
- Basic experience with cameras, ENPS, editing on Grass Valley Edius is a plus.
You must sign in to apply for this position.