Your Trusted Local News Source
Gray TV is seeking a state capitol reporter to support and elevate its Iowa newsrooms. This position would be based in Des Moines and work remotely covering all levels of state government, particularly the legislative session each January through April.
- This position will also have featured roles during elections and the Iowa Caucuses (you’re all but guaranteed to interview the next President). The position will need to love politics and develop sources and understandings of Iowa government quickly. With 6 affiliates in Iowa, expect multiple live hits for each story and a lot of independence to hold the powerful accountable in Iowa state government.
- This position will work for at least 6 Gray TV stations covering the state of Iowa: WOWT, KCRG, KWQC, KTIV, KTTC, KYOU. This position may also appear on Gray stations across the country when covering statewide issues or national political races, like the Iowa Caucuses.
About Gray Television:
- Gray Television is a leading media company that owns and operates high-quality stations in 113 television markets that collectively reach 36 percent of US television households.
- We constantly strive for excellence. Through upgrading to the latest technology and seeking new ways to stay on top in our markets, we focus on training and development of the best and brightest employees in the business.
Responsibilities:The successful candidate will be responsible for (but not limited to) the following:
- Shoot, write and edit news content.
- Coordinate with stations across the state for live shots and coverage of key events.
- Reformat and write content for digital platforms.
- Research story ideas.
- Develop and maintain sources.
- Participate in story selection and play an active role in editorial process.
- Various shift work will be required; some holiday work is required.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Degree in journalism, communications or related field.
- Minimum 2 years on-air reporting experience.
- Ability to carry up to 50 pounds of gear.
- Have and maintain clean driving record.
- Must pass pre-employment drug screen.
- Enjoy a fast paced environment with a desire to win.
- Ability to meet deadlines, prioritize assignments and handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Gray Television provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Gray Television complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
- Gray Television expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Gray's employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
- As a condition of employment, Gray Television will require that newly hired employees, whether part-time or full-time, be fully vaccinated against the coronavirus by the first workday to the extent permitted by applicable law unless you qualify for a medical or religious accommodation.
Qualified, interested applicants may go to -https://gray.tv/careers#currentopening, you may type in the job title, station call letters, or click on "apply now" , upload your resume, cover letter and references