Website Hubbard Broadcasting
WTOP produces a 24/7 live audio news product. The Associate Producer works directly with WTOP’s producers, anchors, writers, reporters and digital team to bring each hour’s newscast to life in a way that is both factually accurate and compelling. The Audio Producer role includes newsgathering and quality control responsibilities. The Associate Producer and Audio Producer work as part of a diverse team to make WTOP News the leading provider of local and relevant news and information for the Washington, DC region.
- Coordinate and communicate effectively with anchors, writers, reporters, broadcast producers and the digital team to help deliver the news with a sense of urgency 24/7
- Ensure anchors have everything needed for a flawless broadcast, including reporter scripts and audio files
- Continually monitor producer's hourly newscasts and screen all audio and scripts to ensure WTOP's quality standards are met
- Write news stories and edit audio files. Ensure broadcast news copy is accurate and balanced using sound news judgment. Copy must be clear and compelling, and executed under tight broadcast deadlines.
- Maintain awareness of the latest local news and top national/international stories of the day at all times. Monitor local/national news outlets, social media and email to make sure WTOP is on top of the most relevant and breaking news stories of the day.
- Answer phone calls and emails from listeners, providing top-notch customer service from WTOP
- Actively pursue news tips that come in via email, phone call or other official sources
- Book interviews with newsmakers and sources to discuss the top news of the day live on-air. Contact affiliates and news sources for interviews and information.
- Use Adobe Audition to ensure all audio is adjusted to proper levels and meets WTOP’s quality standards
- Ensure each audio report is void of poor audio, grammatical errors and any other errors
- Monitor TV newscasts and other sources to look for stories we aren’t already covering
- Assist the producer and associate producer
- Other duties as assigned
- Degree in Journalism, Communications or related field preferred
- 1-2 years professional experience in the broadcast news industry (radio or television) preferred
- In-depth knowledge of local D.C. news market, preferred. Excellent news judgment and knowledge of current events at the local, national and international level
- Understanding of the importance of utilizing sound bites, nat sound and other audio in newscasts
- Ability to work quickly, multitask and handle stressful situations in a calm manner
- Strong leadership and communication skills
- Strong writing and interviewing skills
- Knowledge of Adobe Audition, Burli, and Wide Orbit, preferred
- Report to work on time. Ability to work weekdays and weekends. Must be able to work early morning, midday, evening and overnight shifts.
- Project an appropriate and professional appearance and demeanor
- Ability to work in compliance with company policies and procedures
- Ability to function well in a diverse team environment
You must sign in to apply for this position.