Website Gray Television
KMOT-TV is the NBC affiliate in Minot, North Dakota, and the only locally-broadcast 6 and 10 p.m. newscasts in North Central North Dakota. A job at KMOT is a learning experience unlike any you’ll find in a classroom–here, you’ll get to shoot, write, and edit your own material, while receiving feedback and coaching from veteran journalists who monitor your progress. Our viewers have come to depend on our news team to be quick, and fair and accurate, from the first tweet and post, to the nightly wrap-up and anchor explainer, you’ll get all the news.
The News / Sports MMJ position at KMOT is a full-time, hourly position based out of Minot, North Dakota. This person reports during the week for KMOT and its sister affiliates (KFYR, KUMV, KQCD, West Dakota Fox) across central and western North Dakota and eastern Montana, with a primary focus on North Central North Dakota.
Responsibilities:Duties/Responsibilities include (but not limited to):
- Write, shoot, and edit stories
- Assist with coverage of sports during busy times of the year (preps football, hockey, basketball, etc.) may include filming game highlights, fronting highlights live in a studio or the field, reporting on teams, etc.
- Roughly 80%/20% split, covering news/sports, respectively
- Use social media as a way to enhance reporting
- Research story ideas/plan ahead
- Assist with producing if needed
- Participate in editorial meetings
- Maintain a flexible schedule that allows for being called in after hours if news breaks
- Assist team members in planning coverage of major events (festivals, etc.)
- Represent the station at public events
- Communications / Broadcast Journalism or equivalent degree is favorable but NOT required / station provides on-the-job training for some skills
- Ability to carry 20-30 lbs. of equipment
- Good driving record/willingness to drive to shoots
- Knowledge of proper use of social media in covering news (Facebook live, Twitter, TikTok, etc.)
- General interest in news / current events
- Some background with filming sports highlights
- Ability to accept constructive criticism as a way to improve and grow as a journalist
- Willingness to collaborate with team members
You must sign in to apply for this position.