E.W. Scripps Media Inc d/b/a KNXV-TV ABC15 and KASW-TV CW61
KNXV, the Scripps ABC station in Phoenix, is searching for an experienced News Director to keep our station moving forward to new heights of success. This is a newsroom that needs a proven leader who can exceed and grow our high levels of investigative and enterprise journalism.
The right candidate will be someone who understands deep impact local content and can help teach and develop our talented group of journalists into stronger emotional storytellers. We seek someone who can foster a positive, innovative, and hard charging newsroom into a digital now mindset. We are looking for a candidate who can effectively plan a news strategy for a continuous measurement world, while still being able to coordinate breaking news, weather, and large event coverage.
You must be a digital powerhouse, leveraging the web, OTT, and all social platforms to make sure that local audiences are seeing, talking about, and sharing stories generated by our newsroom. You must be a risk taker and someone ready to adapt, change and think out of the box. If this sounds like you, we would like for you to apply.
The E.W. Scripps Company (NASDAQ: SSP) is a diversified media company focused on creating a better-informed world. As the nation’s fourth-largest local TV broadcaster, Scripps serves communities with quality, objective local journalism and operates a portfolio of 61 stations in 41 markets. The Scripps Networks reach nearly every American through the national news outlets Court TV and Newsy and popular entertainment brands ION, Bounce, Grit, Laff and Court TV Mystery. Scripps is the nation’s largest holder of broadcast spectrum. Scripps runs an award-winning investigative reporting newsroom in Washington, D.C., and is the longtime steward of the Scripps National Spelling Bee. Founded in 1878, Scripps has held for decades to the motto, “Give light and the people will find their own way.”
As an equal employment opportunity employer, The E.W. Scripps Company and its affiliates do not discriminate in its employment decisions on the basis of race, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender, color, religion, age, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, citizenship or national origin, and military membership or veteran status, or on any other basis which would be in violation of any applicable federal, state or local law. Furthermore, the company will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship for the company.
- Create & implement strategic plans for audience growth and newsroom operations.
- Responsible for developing and implementing measurable strategies for audience growth while effectively managing news content delivered on multiple platforms.
- Communicate a compelling and inspired vision consistent with company strategy.
- Analyze and respond to trends affecting the industry and DMA.
- Approve all newsroom personnel decisions.
- Develop and control annual budget to comply with station guidelines.
- Build and maintain key relationships to foster a positive news image within the community.
- Monitor all on-air and online product for compliance to Federal, State, and local laws as well as First & Fourteenth Amendments.
- Work closely with other members of station management team to develop and attain departmental and station goals.
- Knowledge of and proficiency in posting content to station websites.
- Ability to adapt current resources to emerging technology.
- Supervise and provide regular feedback and yearly performance appraisals for direct reports with ultimate responsibility for all newsroom personnel.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- At least 5-years or more of News Management experience is required.
- Bachelor's degree in Journalism, Communications, or related field preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to track and select trending news stories.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Ability to work in a rapid, fast-paced environment.
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule, including nights, weekends, and holidays.
- Knowledge and demonstration of editorial judgment, journalistic ethics, and libel laws.
- Ability to create tactics and strategies to increase demo performance in key target areas for multiple platforms.
- Have working knowledge of federal, state, and local laws impacting operations.
- Advanced oral and written communication skills.
- Effective in a variety of formal presentation settings both inside and outside the organization.
- Proven and effective leadership skills; fosters open dialogue, empowers others, addresses conflict quickly and directly.
You must sign in to apply for this position.