Central Oregon Daily News (KOHD/KBNZ) is looking for a dynamic, trained news professional to join our team!
As a News Anchor, you will be part of a lively, energetic, and determined team of individuals who strive to provide the most current and relevant information to our viewers. You will need a creative and inquisitive mind to generate interesting stories that appeal to our community. You will need the courage to conduct investigations and interviews with an open mind and present truthful information to our viewers in an engaging and exciting manner. You will also need to attend and analyze public events, and develop editorial insight to bring the important information to our viewers. You’ll cover a broad variety of topics, including events, history, education, business, social trends, people, community services… the sky is the limit! You will work hand-in-hand with reporters and other on-air talent to tell the stories you’ve generated. At Central Oregon Daily News, we believe that teamwork makes the dream work!
TDS Broadcasting LLC, a TDS company, operates Central Oregon Daily News (KOHD-TV the ABC affiliate, KBNZ-LP the CBS affiliate), COTV11 and CO4 Visitors Network as Zolo Media, offering a wide range of viewing options for Central Oregonians.
Zolo Media provides targeted advertising solutions through a combination of local originated content, local broadcast television stations, and on BendBroadband and Crestview cable television networks. Zolo Creative Services offers award-winning video production for television spot production. Visit zolomedia.com or centraloregondaily.com.
TDS Broadcasting LLC and Zolo Media are part of TDS Telecommunications LLC (TDS Telecom), which is based in Madison, Wis. Combined, the companies employ more than 2,800 people and are subsidiaries of Telephone and Data Systems, Inc. [NYSE: TDS], a Fortune 1000® company. Founded in 1969, TDS Inc. employs 9,400 people and has approximately six million connections nationwide through its businesses U.S. Cellular, TDS Telecom, OneNeck IT Solutions LLC, TDS Broadband Service, and TDS Broadcasting LLC. TDS Inc. has been named to several Forbes lists, including America’s Best Employers for Diversity, Best Large Employers, and Best Employers for Women. Visit tdsinc.com.
- Anchor (either solo or as a co-anchor) any newscasts as needed which includes reading the prompter, cross-talking with Meteorologists and reporters, interviewing live guests on-set or via live shots, and being able to adjust to and adlib live breaking news situations.
- Research, develop and write stories for the daily news broadcast. Exercise editorial judgement to ensure quality live daily content. Also, to include:Writing and producing concise, accurate copy and adhering to strict deadlines.
- Produce broadcasts within newsroom software for air as assigned. May include:Arranging news stories as they will appear on-air.
- Timing the flow of content during live on-air broadcasts
- Writing/editing/formatting news stories for broadcast
- Coordinating with reporters to ensure stories are inserted into broadcasts in a timely and appropriate manner
- Research prepare and interview people in a wide range of different fields and circumstances. May also include the following:Building contacts to maintain a flow of news, for example, police and emergency services, local council, community groups, health trusts, press officers from a variety of organizations, the general public, etc.;
- Seeking out and investigating stories via your contacts, press releases and other media;
- Attending press conferences and asking questions;
- Attending a variety of events, such as council meetings, sporting events, talent contests, etc.;
- Answering the phones and reacting to topical stories that matter to our viewers; and,
- Working closely with the broadcast team, photographers, editors and producers.
- Recording/editing interviews using technical camera, recording and computer equipment.
- Bachelor’s degree (or higher) -OR- 4+ years professional work experience
- 5+ years’ experience of ‘On-Camera’ storytelling
- Able to professionally interact with customers and co-workers via strong verbal and written communication skills
- Reliable and motivated to promptly fulfill obligations; able to work independently without supervision.
- Able to analyze situations, use logic to address issues and pay careful attention to details.
- Demonstrated writing and editorial judgement experience.
- Familiar with newsroom producing software
- Proficient in Microsoft Office & Apple computers, understand and able to troubleshoot computers preferred; Basic understanding of broadcast cameras and how to operate them.
- Basic non-linear editing skills. Final Cut, Adobe Premier, Avid, or similar.
- Able to work evenings and weekends as a part of a regular schedule and/or dictated by business needs
- Strong work ethic with an emphasis on team commitment.
- Valid driver’s license with satisfactory driving record (supplied by applicant)
- Successful criminal background check
- Final applicants are required to take and satisfactorily pass a pre-employment drug test within 48 hours of notification.
You must sign in to apply for this position.