Content Planner, Req.
Posted by Scripps TV Station Group
Do you have what it takes to help us make morning news relevant again? ABC15, the E.W. Scripps-owned ABC affiliate in Phoenix (DMA 12), is seeking a Content Planner to direct coverage for key stories in our 3.5 hours of morning news. This isnt about setting up state fair live shots or scheduling cupcake interviews -- we want a hard news-hungry journalist who can identify the big stories in the 12 hours before and after the morning news and build an innovative coverage plan. The Content Planner would work closely with AM reporters, producers, and the AM EP.
The E.W. Scripps Company (NYSE: SSP) serves audiences and businesses through a growing portfolio of television, radio and digital media brands. Scripps is one of the nations largest independent TV station owners, with 33 television stations in 24 markets and a reach of nearly one in five U.S. households. It also owns 34 radio stations in eight markets. Scripps also runs an expanding collection of local and national digital journalism and information businesses, including multi-platform satire and humor brand Cracked, podcast industry leader Midroll Media and over-the-top video news service Newsy. Scripps also produces television shows including "THE LIST" and "The Now," runs an award-winning investigative reporting newsroom in Washington, D.C., and serves as the long-time steward of the nations largest, most successful and longest-running educational program, the Scripps National Spelling Bee. Founded in 1878, Scripps has held for decades to the motto, "Give light and the people will find their own way."
As an equal employment opportunity employer, The E.W. Scripps Company and its affiliates do not discriminate in its employment decisions on the basis on race, sex, sexual orientation, gender, color, religion, age, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, citizenship or national origin, and military membership or veteran status, or on any other basis which would be in violation of any applicable federal, state or local law. Furthermore, the company will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship for the company.
If you have a link to your recent work, please cut and paste your link into your profile.
The Perks at ABC15:
- A #thinkDIFFERENT culture that values new ideas and actually acts on them.
- One of the most beautiful TV station buildings youll ever work within!
- Voted BEST news website and BEST evening newscast in the Valley. We love to win, but we dont brag (too much).
- A place where your work gets seen and interacted with by millions of people each and every month.
- 300 sunny days a year, along with the best "winter" youll ever experience!
- A culture that values leaders at every level and puts a premium on promoting from within.
- Generous paid time-off policies that start from day one.
- A commitment to YOUR health that includes full benefits and annual wellness incentives.
- A place where you can feel proud of where you work, knowing the stations commitment is to take action for our community and make Arizona a better place to live.
TELEVISION STATION KNXV ABC 15 IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
- Plans, researches, sets-up and builds-out enterprise stories for assigned show(s).
- Creates a daily coverage plan of compelling, relevant and timely local content for assigned show(s).
- Collaborates with assigned show(s) executive producer(s) to ensure coverage being delivered aligns with the vision for show.
- Works with the production team to ensure advance planning is a key part of the assigned shows newscast development each day, so that there is depth and balance with breaking or overnight news.
- Tracks and plans coverage of newsworthy stories including scheduled events and known news and weather events
- Networks and cultivates local news sources in the coverage area that lead to compelling content.
- May be involved in dispatching and guiding the work of a small (3-4) assignment team consisting of a mix of Multi-Media Journalist, Reporter and/or photographers.
- Works with team to research, write and produce content for multiple platforms.
- Coordinates with digital and social media staff to facilitate content delivery to those platforms.
- May produce stories for special event programming.
- May set up interviews for newscasts.
- May work with special projects team.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education & Experience/Certifications:
- BS/BA in Journalism or related discipline
- A minimum of 2 yr. experience in multi-platform content gathering and/or distribution
Skills & Abilities:
- Knowledge of local market strongly preferred with the ability to network and cultivate sources that lead to compelling content
- Excellent verbal, written and social media communication skills
- Working knowledge of industry technologies and practices
- Computer skills including Microsoft Office, social media programs and newsroom computer systems, including iNews
- Ability to collaborate well in a team
- Effective delegation and problem resolution skills
- Proficiency computer based editing, Final Cut Pro
To apply for this position, please visit us at our External Career Center: https://recruiting.adp.com/srccar/public/RTI.home?c=1060841&d=External and search for requisition #12679